Thursday, April 26, 2012

How to Withstand Xenoblade Chronicle's Sidequests

Tonight I'm going to discuss how to do Xenoblade Chronicle's sidequests. Why? Because, as far as I can tell, they comprise the painful parts of the game, and if you develop obsessive completion disorder while playing XC (or, when you develop this), you will suffer them.

So here is how to do Xenoblade Chronicle's sidequests as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Tip number one is: Do not sell anything under the sections labelled "materials" and "collectables" Don't sell them because, as the 480 billion side quests come, you will be asked to collect a lot of "materials," some of which are rarely found. By not selling them, you'll end up finishing many of these quests the moment you start them. (Note: You CAN run out of inventory space; when this happens, dump the crapiest-looking stuff)

Tip number two: Everytime you kill a monster or see a floating orb (these represent materials and collectables), take that monster's stuff and grab that orb. If you run out of inventory space, sell the items represented by the smallest pouches (i.e. the cheap stuff); most of the crap stuff will end up just being crap.

Tip number three: Before you leave a new town (or sidequest-giving place), start as many quests as possible; i.e. talk to as many NPCs with the white exclamation marks as you can, before you head into the wilds. This way, when you beat enemies and minor bosses, you will simultaneously be finishing quests. Killing monsters before you get the quests will not will not effect quest completion; even boss-killing doesn't count until you activate the quest.

Tip number four: A common sense tip: If you feel like you're going through the story too quickly, and you're so addicted to Xenoblade Chronicles that you can't stop playing, do sidequests. When the sidequesting starts boring or frustrating you, resume the main quest. [This tip will be counter argued by tip number six]

Tip number five: Have a computer on sleep and connected to the internet so you can google sidequests' monster and item locations. You may object to this tip because it takes the scavenger huntness away from the game, but I feel, with a Xenoblade Chronicle's Direct X 8 graphics, you'll end up wanting Internet help, especially once you realize you've been searching over the same old places for hours.

Tip number six, is the most important tip: It's "Do not do the sidequests on purpose (do them on accident!)" Most of the tips above have been written under the assumption that you'll want to do the sidequests because you're a completionist. But seriously, DO NOT DO THEM ON PURPOSE, because if you actually spend your "I'm going through the game's story too fast and want to slow down a bit" time on the sidequests, then basically you'll end up boring yourself. "How's that?" You ask. "Grind quest" is the answer. "Search for X number of (sometimes rare) item Y," "Kill X more of this," "Kill that boss monster you might already have killed," "etc." These are, essentially, the sidequests of Xenoblade Chronicles. I am reminding you that anything that makes you do something you've already done over and over and over again is not interested in your happiness. You can't do Xenoblade Chronicles's sidequests on purpose and simultaneously not feel like you should be doing something else with your life. So, when you play this game, just make sure you talk to the non-playable characters who give those quests, and do not sell materials nor collectables. Accidentally completing the sidequests that award you XP makes the main story's boss battles less loseable.

Tip number seven: Read Tom Chick's "Xenoblade Chronicles Beginner's Guide." Some of it you've just read, but it's good review.

5 comments:

AzureXela said...

Ah, the mighty sidequests! I agree with you on this. When I first go the game I was extremely enthusiastic about it. I did every sidequest as I came across it until I became bored. Luckily, the main story was always waiting for me. Now though, I am pretty sure I'm nearing the end and I have a good 80 hours on my save file. I've been focusing on the story lately and haven't taken part in TOO MANY sidequests since the earlier/middle parts of the game but now...I am torn...

I want to finish up the story because I just HAVE to know how they end all of this...at the same time...quests are calling me. Any ideas? I'm currently lvl 70...

I reckon I'll just finish the main story and start a second fresh play-through with 100% in mind a few months down the line...or whenever...

I love this game though.

AzureXela said...

Ah, the mighty sidequests! I agree with you on this. When I first go the game I was extremely enthusiastic about it. I did every sidequest as I came across it until I became bored. Luckily, the main story was always waiting for me. Now though, I am pretty sure I'm nearing the end and I have a good 80 hours on my save file. I've been focusing on the story lately and haven't taken part in TOO MANY sidequests since the earlier/middle parts of the game but now...I am torn...

I want to finish up the story because I just HAVE to know how they end all of this...at the same time...quests are calling me. Any ideas? I'm currently lvl 70...

I reckon I'll just finish the main story and start a second fresh play-through with 100% in mind a few months down the line...or whenever...

I love this game though.

Fragrant Elephant said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm 50 hours into the game and only halfway through due to obsessive sidequesting. Argh!

But yeah -- Xenoblade Chronicles is AWESOME. I'm glad my local GameStop person recommended it.

Harold said...

You kind of don't want it to end. It's fun enough to be a MMPORPG like World of Warcraft, where it'll just stay open for expansions to the story.

Of course, sometimes you just want the story to end so you can experience a new story. But when a story is really told well, you just want it to go on.

Anonymous said...

Yeah that Tip #6 wasn't an option for me. I had to do sidequests because every time I would reach an end boss, I would lose over and over again until I did a few more sidequests and reached a couple more levels and beat it with little issue. I'm right outside one of the final dungeons right now and I can't continue because I can't beat the boss and I'm so bored with the game that I can't bring myself to do any more sidequests. And people say this is "one of the best JRPGs of this generation." Pfft. I had more fun with every other Xeno game before this one except for Xenosaga 2 and that's only because I haven't played it yet. Oh and I love how people convenietly leave out the fact that you have to return to named quest-givers in order to complete their quests and those give out the best amounts of XP and rare items. I sincerely hope that "X" doesn't do this again because that game actually looks pretty good and has what this game was missing: pilotable mechs.